Saturday, May 4, 2013

How Does Your Garden Grow?

This spring, I decided that I wanted to plant a garden.  I mean, Sarah and I eat a lot of fruits and veggies.  Tom can occasionally be convinced to try them.  And organic stuff can be so pricey!  Why wouldn't I just grow it myself?  Well, for starters, I don't know the first thing about gardening.  There was also the issue of not having a space for a garden.  Oh!  And our entire backyard is shaded.  Seriously shaded. 
 
But, with a little help from friends and the internet, I came up with a plan for a small garden along the west side of our house!  I tilled the dirt, edged the whole thing, added gardening soil and compost, and then sectioned it all into 1x1 square foot sections for planting. I was able to plant pumpkins, watermelon, strawberries, pole beans, peas, carrots, lettuce and three kinds of raspberries in the garden, and I have two potted tomato plants to boot! 
 
The best thing about the garden, though, has been letting Sarah help me take care of it.  She loves watering with me, and she even helped plant most of the seeds.  It was very sweet to see her cover the tiny seeds with soil and say, "Night, night seeds!  Sleep tight!"  I love that girl!!!

Watering is her favorite part of helping...

 


Once we're done watering, we have to take some time to play, though!

    

 
Sarah is really into kicking the ball right now...

   

...unless she's throwing it!


Sometimes she helps out with little projects, too.  Today, she helped her daddy use plumber's tape to fix the garden hose attachment.






 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment