Saturday, May 11, 2013

The Tara Dress

We have a special dress in our family. It's an heirloom that my father fondly refers to as "The Tara Dress."  He gave the dress that nickname because my mom's mom (A.K.A. Grammie Grammie) was obsessed with "Gone With the Wind" and had a portrait done of my toddler-aged mother wearing a pinafored dress and bonnet (which, in my father's eyes, looks like it should have been a costume in the aforementioned film). 


The dress was, of course, saved and passed down so that my mom could have my portrait taken in it. Somewhere there exists an orangey, 1970s portrait of me in the dress that hung in my parents' living room for the longest time, but I cannot for the life of me find it.  Honest.  I promise to share it in all of its glory when I do finally find it - bonnet and all! 

So now it is Sarah's turn to wear this dress of fame and glory!  I wanted to surprise my mom with pictures of Sarah in the dress for Mother's Day, so I called on our friend Kayla South (Oliver Beckett Photography) who jumped all over the idea of an outdoor shoot.  I wasn't sure how these would turn out, but I actually kind of love them.  And no, I did not make her wear the bonnet...


 This girl sure loves her Ellie right now.  She also loves sticking Ellie's tail up her nose...





This is the one I framed for Grammie on Mother's Day!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment