Today was the last day of my summer break, so Sarah and I celebrated in our traditional manner by taking our last weekday trip to the zoo. We still go to the zoo during the school year, but it's always more crowded on weekends.
The weather was cool and a little rainy, but that just meant more animals were out and about!
When we got to the zoo, Sarah ran up to the giant "Keeta," put her hands up to her face like claws, and growled like a bear!
We spent some time watching Nikita and Berlin swim.
Then it was on to the Tiger Trail!
I love that Sarah stops at this drinking fountain every time we go to the zoo. I've said it before and I'll say it again - this little guy might be my favorite fountain in Kansas City. (Yeah, it's on the official Kansas City fountain list - look it up!)
This is what the official KC Fountain Guide says about this fountain: "Located in the zoo, this drinking fountain features a lion cub. Harry Evans Minty was a respected member of the Park Board in the 1940's. The redesigned fountain setting is near the Red Panda exhibit on the Tiger Trail. The lion cub likeness is of 'Tyke', one of Minty's favorites at the zoo." I had no idea what the fountain was all about until I looked it up - I just love the face of this little guy!
Sarah stopped by to say hello to the orangutans...
...and then we were off to see the kangaroos!
We stopped at the play area...
...and then played some more at the Discovery Barn.
We went to ride on the carousal, and that's when I totally traumatized my daughter. Every hour, they feed the lorikeets. So far this summer, we had missed every feeding. Today, however, we timed it just right! We got there just as they were letting everyone in, and Sarah appeared very excited to feed the birds. Until it was time to feed the birds, that is!
I think I can understand why she was a little freaked out...
The poor kid ended up with a bird on her head! Oops...
Three birds were overwhelming. One bird seemed to be okay, though!
Three birds were overwhelming. One bird seemed to be okay, though!
Luckily, Sarah thought it was hilarious that Mommy had a bird on her head!
As always, I had planned to take her picture next to the white faced capuchins in the Tropics building before we left for the day. What I hadn't thought about was the fact that those funny primates have been moved to a new habitat! So, we have the same kid and the same capuchins, but a different setting!
Here's our timeline:
Here's our timeline:
5 months old (2011)
1 year old (2012)
2 years old (2013)
It was lots easier to get the picture when she was little and I could strap her into a stroller! Luckily, the capuchins now have a giant photo outside of their exhibit for Sarah to pose next to...
I've now left my daughter at the end of the summer three times. I keep thinking it will get easier, but it never does. I treasure our time together each summer, and I'm already looking forward to the next one!
Here we are on our first day of school 2013...

No comments:
Post a Comment