Merry Christmas, everyone!!!
This Christmas started in the most interesting of ways. First, I was sick with a 24-hour stomach bug the day before Christmas Eve. This meant that (1) we missed the Bartel's Christmas Eve Eve Stromboli Fest for the first time in maybe ever and (2) poor Tom was stuck trying to prep for Christmas Eve dinner by himself on the 23rd.
I was feeling better by the 24th, though - which was a good thing since I had passed the bug on to Tom! Luckily, his immune system is stronger than mine (or he could actually take medicine to help him feel better quicker since he isn't pregnant!) and he was still willing and able to make our Christmas Eve dinner while Sarah and I went to the 5 o'clock service with Grammie and PaPa.
Church was where things got really interesting, though.
Sarah has a book that plays Christmas music, and one of the songs she learned this holiday season was Silent Night. I had told her that we would get to sing Silent Night at church on Christmas, and we had a long talk about candles and fire and how you let a grown-up hold the candle while we sing Silent Night. Needless to say, she was excited about it.
Unfortunately, I may have over-hyped the song. Fifteen minutes into the service, she announced that she wanted to sing "her song." I told her it wasn't time to sing it yet, and she insisted that we sing it. NOW. Cut to me carrying my screaming child out of the sanctuary and down to the youth group rec room in the church basement...where she tantrumed for a full 20 minutes because it wasn't time to sing Silent Night! She calmed down in time for PaPa to bring us our coats so we could cut church short and just go home. This was all well and good until we started to walk out the door, though, and she realized that we wouldn't be singing Silent Night at all. Cut to tantrum all the way home...
Luckily, she calmed down once she had toys and Uncle Adam and Aunt Megan to play with! I was too frazzled to take pictures on Christmas Eve, but Sarah did look adorable in her dress and tights. The lights were sparkly, the tree was beautiful, and everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Tom outdid himself with the beef this year, and I made some really awesome rolls. My cheesecake was not so good (it was a little gooey in the middle), but luckily we had lots of cookies to fill the tiny space still left in our bellies!
Around 8:00, Sarah got into her Christmas jammies, put out some cookies (ironically, also Christmas Jammies!) for Santa, and kissed everyone goodnight. She was soon fast asleep, dreaming of Christmas morning!

No comments:
Post a Comment