Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Last Day of Summer

As always, Sarah and I spent the last day of summer vacation at the zoo.  This year, though, Kate was with us!  Working a teachers' schedule is a blessing and a curse - I love spending the summer with my girls, but going back to school afterward is never easy for me.  I just tried to make this trip to the zoo extra special so we could remember the fun of it as the school year started!


We started with a visit to our friend, Nikita. (I can't wait until Kate turns around and notices the polar bear!  Maybe next summer...)




Then we rode the train.


Then we fed the lorikeets.  Sarah is getting braver and braver with the birds - maybe because she thinks it's so hilarious when they land on Mommy's head!






After the lorikeets, we visited our other favorite bird friends - the penguins!  Again, I'm sure that some day soon, Kate will notice the animals behind her...


Even though it was getting pretty hot, we stopped to say hello to the elephants.



Sarah thinks it's awesome that this elephant is named Megan - just like her favorite aunt!


Remember how I said I tried to make this trip extra fun?  Well, Sarah got to ride the camel at the zoo for the first time ever!  How's that for fun?!






We ended our trip with a visit to the tropics building, where we posed for our now-traditional end-of-summer photo with the white-cheeked gibbon.

This was Kate's first photo with this fine primate.

3 1/2 months old


It was Sarah's fourth photo op with him.  That's right - Sarah and I have had to say good-bye to summer four times now!

Here is this year's photo, followed by the three previous years' photos so you can see how she's grown:

3-years-old

2-years-old

1-year-old

5-months-old

Until next summer, Mr. White-Cheeked Gibbon!



No comments:

Post a Comment