Every spring or fall, I dread the drive down 79th Street between Pflumn and Lackman. Because every time we drive past and see kids playing soccer at Little Mill Creek Park, Sarah starts asking why she can't play soccer, too. Well, this fall I've found a solution - let the kid play!
And then it was super cold on our first game day. She wasn't thrilled about the idea of running around outside when it was so cold, but she put on her sweats and decided to give it her best.
And then it was super cold on our first game day. She wasn't thrilled about the idea of running around outside when it was so cold, but she put on her sweats and decided to give it her best.
Sarah is playing soccer through i9 and is on the most adorable little team of 3- and 4-year-olds ever. I say "adorable" and not "soccer stars" for a reason. They are all super cute. But not a one of them has any idea how to play soccer!
We started off easy by putting the kids in their jerseys. Sarah was excited to be "High Five," but was a little confused by the concept of team numbers because she said to me, "But Mom, I'm not five! I'm three!"
We then had 20 minutes to practice with Coach Brian and our team before our first big game. The kids all practiced kicking the ball into the goal, and we thought that we might have some talent on our team!
Then we made sure our shoes were tied tight, and it was game time!
Coach Brian brought the team in for a little pep talk.
GO TEAM!!!
Coach thought it might be a good idea to show the kids which goal they wanted to kick the ball into.
Then the whistle blew and it was game on!
Except that only one kid on our team seemed to know how to play the game...
Poor little guy! Looks like all three kids on the other team knew what they were doing.
As I was yelling for Sarah to go help her team, I realized that she doesn't actually KNOW how to play the game! She can kick the ball. She can even run with the ball. But she has no idea that you're supposed to try to take the ball away from the other team! I've spent three years teaching her to let other kids have their turns, and that's just what she did...
It soon became apparent that we ALL need some coaching. Notice that one of the members of the white team is missing? That's because she's at the other end of the field, scoring a goal while all of the other kids mill around the opposite goal. One of our team was even playing with one of the practice balls!
Soon, her first (clearly exhausting) 7-minute half was over.
Maybe I'll work with her a bit this week on the concept of soccer!
No comments:
Post a Comment