February 13 - February 19
Considering how close we're getting to Sarah's first birthday, this was a real week of firsts for us!
On Monday, Tom took Sarah to the doctor because I thought she might have pink eye or a sinus infection. Turns out the poor kid had a double ear infection! This is the first ear infection she's had, so I felt awful that I hadn't noticed that she was in pain. In my defense, she was never whiny or fussy, she never pulled at her ears or cried, and she never ran a fever! The only indication we had that something was wrong was the green goop in her eyes on Sunday and the fact that she had been waking up in the night and wanting to be held since Wednesday night. (We really thought she was just going through a phase!) Sorry that I'm a terrible mom, Sarah! Look how pathetic she is posing with her first antibiotics...
On a more fun note, Monday was also Sarah's first real snow! It had snowed before, but not enough to go outside and play in. I didn't want her to be out too long since she was sick, but I couldn't let her miss out on it, either! I took her out on the deck for about five minutes and let her play in the snow - which she really just wanted to eat.
When we came back inside, I brought her some snow in a bowl to play with at her high chair. Turns out that you can eat snow at your high chair even easier than you can eat it on the deck! I blame Tom and the fact that he feeds her ice cubes...
She was so embarrassed by my attempt at a snowman (check out the Cheerio eyes!) that she hid her face in shame...
Tuesday was Sarah's first Valentine's Day. She spent it sick at home with Tom, but she did get a cute pink monkey to play with! (She had a pink and a red rubber ducky, too, but Pickle decided that she didn't like them and shredded them for Sarah...)
On Friday, Sarah had her first trip to a construction site! The first school I worked at is being torn down, so we met up with Shauna, Josh and Finley to tour the damage. Shauna and I became friends while working at Somerset, and we have a lot of good memories from that school. It's been closed since 2004, and now it's being razed to make way for a new retirement community. This is what it looked like this fall:
And this is what it looks like now:
The wrecking crew had already demolished one wing of the school, but the wing where Shauna and I taught was still standing. We walked around and looked in the windows at the old teachers' lounge and the room Shauna taught in. When we got to the back of the building, we discovered that the doors were locked, but the windows were broken out of them. Needless to say, I can add breaking and entering to my list of life accomplishments (although I was really just entering - the whole building was broken!). This is the hall where I used to work:
It was kind of sad to see that my old room still had the window painted in the corner (I moved into it that way - I think someone thought it would make up for the fact that I only had one teeny window in the corner...and the fact that the "room" was once a closet for the kick balls and jump ropes kids took out to recess!). Here are some pictures of my old room:
Me and Sarah outside my first classroom (note the broken glass in the door!)
Sarah's other first this week was a BIG one - her first steps! On Saturday morning, she was in our bedroom as I was getting dressed. She turned from where she was standing at the foot of the bed and took two steps toward me! Naturally, I yelled for Tom to come see, and then she took two more steps toward him! It was a big moment for all of us, and I'm so glad that Tom and I were both there when she hit that milestone!
Saturday afternoon, Uncle Adam, Grammie and Grandpa Jeff came over to watch her walk. She didn't disappoint! By the end of their visit, she was walking 6-7 steps across the room without falling down. It was so fun to watch her learning to walk, and I'm glad the whole family got to be there to see it, too.
Sarah also enjoyed wearing the bib from the Guggenheim Museum that Uncle Adam brought her from his recent trip to New York - even if she DID wear it on her head!
One last cute trick that Sarah picked up this week is sitting on the bottom step and bouncing up and down or just swinging her legs back and forth. It's super cute to watch!
A couple more cute pictures to end this week:
Playing with her Valentine mailbox from Grammie and Grandpa Jeff
Reading her Valentine from Grandma Linda and Grandpa David
Earl Hickey-ing in Mom's hat (she has her eyes closed in all the pictures I took of her playing with this hat!)
Eating the pink monkey
Reading in the sunshine
Dad's shoes are still more interesting than the dog OR a princess castle!






No comments:
Post a Comment