Friday, June 6, 2014

Thomas the Train

Sarah has recently developed an interest in Thomas the Train.  She's talked about him and watched the show from time to time, but in the last few weeks, she's really been a fan!  Lucky for us, we were lucky enough to be gifted free tickets to see Thomas at the Midway Railroad!  Thanks for an awesome day, Smith family!!!



We had 4 tickets, so our friends Shauna and Finley met us in Baldwin.  We got there a little earlier than they did, though, so Sarah posed for a photo with Thomas!  


This is her official "Day Out With Thomas" photo:



Then we were off to explore the play area while we waited for the Bartels and our boarding time!


There was a little zoo where Sarah got to feed some animals...
  



...and a place to get Thomas tattoos...


...and train tables!  I think Sarah would have been totally happy if this was all we had done while we were there.





She tried to "be a conductor," but I think the place to put her face may have been a little too small!


Next, Sarah announced that she wanted "to play rock and roll," so we headed over to the music tent where she got to jam on an inflatable bongo drum.



At each activity, Sarah received a stamp on her map, which was great because she LOVES stamps!


Once Finley arrived, we indulged in a variety of Thomas-related souvenirs. I am happy to say that Sarah's new Thomas shirt has replaced her Chase shirt as favorite bedtime outfit!


We grabbed some lunch and added a second tattoo...


...and then it was time to board the train!  




We chose to ride on an "inside" car rather than one of the open air cars, and I'm so glad we did.  I'm not clear on the exact history of this car, but I know it was very old and that it was very cool!  


Sarah and Finley seemed to be happy just being on the train.





I was pretty happy, too!


The train slowly started to move, and then he blew his whistle for us!  Sarah thought it was "too loud."


Soon we were zooming past trees...


...and railroad crossings.


After about 15 minutes, the train slowed down and we came to a stop.  The conductor told us that Thomas was ready to take us back to the station, but he needed our help to get his strength up!  Everyone on the train chanted, "Pull, Thomas! Pull!" and he was able to find the energy to haul us all home.  This may have been Sarah's favorite part of the train ride, and she'll proudly tell anyone who will listen that she had to help Thomas pull the train cars.


Sarah had a great time, and I think Thomas did, too!


Sarah even got a certificate to prove that she was an official "Junior Engineer!"  What a fun, fun day...



No comments:

Post a Comment