September 21, 2014
Dear Sarah,
Today you are three and a half. I know you're disappointed that it's not your "four birthday"- you have been to several birthday parties recently and are pretty bummed that you have to wait until March to celebrate yours. You understand, though, that there are lots of fun things between now and then! You have learned (and will tick them off on your fingers as you say them), "First, Halloween. Then Thanksgiving. Then Christmas. Then Valentine's Day. Then birthday!" You did tell me, though, that I need to make you a cake for your half birthday. You said I should put your name on it so everyone would know that it's YOUR cake. And then you asked me if I know how to spell your name.
You are such a big girl now. You are wearing size 4T pants and size 11 shoes. You can ride a bike (with training wheels) and you have mastered all of the playground equipment at our neighborhood parks (you're still not sure about the giant curving ladder at Matt Taylor Park, though). You can swim all the way across our neighborhood pool with just your swim belt for assistance, and you're learning to play soccer (although, honestly, you just stand around with your hands behind your back and watch the two kids on your team who actually know how to play do the hard work).
You are halfway through your first quarter of preschool, and you can now spell little c-v-c words (mom, dad, hat, etc.) by sounding them out and count to 29 (thirty remains a mystery to you). You know all the letters in your name and can spell it out loud, but you're still working on writing it. Books are still one of your favorite things in life. Your current bedtime favorite is a giant book of fairy tales. Each night, you pick one fairy tale for me to read to you, and then you chime in with "Once upon a time" and "They lived happily ever after" for each story. It's adorable.
You are a GREAT big sister, and you love to make Kate smile and laugh. You still love your Ellie and want to "wiggle her tail" when you’re upset, but you can also be "okay without her" (like when she stayed in the back of Dad’s car all night because you hid her there when you were playing police officer and none of us knew you had put her there and certainly would never think to look there!). Sometimes, you even share Ellie with Kate. You tell her that it's okay to chew on Ellie's trunk or ears or feet, but NOT her wiggly tail. Nobody but nobody better touch Ellie's tail!
Your current favorite shows are Sofia the First, Paw Patrol, Doc McStuffins, and Wild Kratts. You are still obsessed with Frozen and sing the entire soundtrack from time to time. You are also more and more aware of what is on the radio in the car, and I've found you singing current Top 25 songs to yourself as you play. You always get the words wrong, though, which I love. Here are some of the lyrics I've heard from you recently (and yes, I am embarrassed that I haven't been exposing you to better music!):
Ariana Grande's "Problem"
Sarah's lyrics: "I got one last don withoutcha" (Followed by, "Mom? What's 'don'?")
Actual lyrics: "I've got one less problem without ya"
Charli XCX's "Boom Clap"
Sarah's lyrics: "Boom, crash, the sound of my hopping goes on and on and on..."
Actual lyrics: "Boom, clap, the sound of my heart, the beat goes on and on and on and on"
Meghan Trainor's "All About That Bass"
Sarah's lyrics: "All about that face, bout that face, no trouble"
Actual lyrics: "All about that bass, 'bout that bass, no treble"
Meghan Trainor's "All About That Bass"
Sarah's lyrics: "All about that face, bout that face, no trouble"
Actual lyrics: "All about that bass, 'bout that bass, no treble"
You still love to play hide and seek with me and Daddy (and you still always hide either behind the sofa cushions or behind the chairs in the living room). You are also very into pretend play right now and will spend hours with your doll houses and toy animals. You still love to dress up in your fancy dress-up clothes, and you have been known to wear your princess dresses on walks or on errands around town. You are very generous with your costumes, though, and readily share your crowns and accessories with your little sister or friends we meet on our walks!
You are having fewer mood swings these days, but you can still tantrum with the best of them (I really hope the worst of the threes is behind us, though!). You are more likely to cry in empathy now than in anger. For instance, I was tucking you in the other night and you started crying. When I asked what was wrong, you said, "When George was in the hospital, he was sad because his daddy couldn't stay with him." Who knew that Curious George could be such a tear-jerker?!
You are definitely a feisty little girl, though, and you are a stickler for the rules. You make sure others follow the rules, too, which can sometimes irritate kids you play with. You came home from preschool the other day and told me, "Mom, some of those kids called me a boss." Well, my darling, you CAN be a bit bossy. But don't EVER think that's a bad thing! I'm so glad that you aren't afraid to tell others what you think. I don't have to worry about you doing something unsafe or wrong just because someone else told you to do it. I also know that you aren't afraid to be a leader and are willing to help others who may not know what to do. I don't want you to ever hold back or feel bad about yourself because someone calls you bossy - I am proud of your courage and confidence, and I want you to always be the strong Sarah you are!
So keep shining, my little star. I can't wait believe you are already halfway to four!
Love,
Mommy



No comments:
Post a Comment