Saturday, April 30, 2016

Happy 2nd Birthday, Kate!


April 30, 2016

Dear Kate,

This past year has gone by so quickly and so many things have happened and changed over the past twelve months that it’s hard for me to unjumble all these memories and tell you about the amazing girl you’re becoming. It’s unfortunate, really, how memory works. It tangles itself up and changes what had been and mixes it with the now. But what is most important - now, then, and forever - is that I love you so, so much. You light up every room. Your smile and your crinkled nose when you laugh is pure delight, and your open-mouthed, slobbery kisses make my heart swell with love.

The past year has held many milestones for you. You can walk, run, jump and spin. You sit in a booster chair to eat. You still sleep in your crib (yea!) but can climb up onto your changing table all by yourself.  You finally have all of your baby teeth (I was a littler worried for a while there!), you wear size 24-month clothes and size 6 shoes, and your hair is so long we have to put it into “piggies” to keep it out of your face (and food!).

Currently, one of your most endearing (and frequently frustrating) traits is your desire to do things you love over and over and over. You love being held upside down and lifted up in the air. You love it when we hold you and then pretend to drop you and when we let you sit on our legs and bounce them like you’re riding a pony. If I dare to stop to catch my breath, you shriek, “Moi!” (more) or “Gen! Gen!” (again, again).

Your speech is really pretty impressive, though, especially since Sarah is your main tutor. She’s forever breaking words apart for you, demanding, “Kate, say ‘kin-der-gar-ten’.” You never tell her no, even when you probably should!  A couple of the words you mispronounce but I refuse to correct are “wa-ga” for water and “Aye-yah” for Sarah. You also call Veronica “Ron-ka,” which is super adorable. You started talking right around 18 months and you haven’t stopped since!

You wake up happy every morning, but you are NOT a morning person. You, my dear, are a good sleeper. You fall asleep easily (we’ll see if that changes when I take your pacifiers away this summer!), and you sleep soundly most nights. In the morning, however, you are content to just lay in your crib and slowly prepare to meet the day. It takes us about 15 minutes from the time we open your door to the time you are dressed and downstairs. Most mornings, you greet me with, “My paci?” That’s my cue to pick them up off the floor from wherever you may have flung them during the night and hand them to you. You then stick one in your mouth and palm another until you decide it’s time to get out of bed.  You talk around the paci, though, to run through the list of family members (“Daddy? Aye-yah? Pickle?”) until you know where each of us is and what we’re doing. Sometimes you just say, “Eh-body?” and then I know you want to know where everybody is.

You have so much love for your family. You will randomly ask about “Gam-mie” and PaPa, and you are so excited to talk to them on the phone right now. You also love your cousin, Teddy, and are so sweet to him! You ask about him a lot, and I know I need to do a better job of helping you spend more time with him.  I think my favorite relationship to watch, though, is the incredible bond you have with your sister. You love each other fiercely and it shows! You play and snuggle and read together. You turn to her when you need help and she protects you like a mama bear. It is my fervent wish that you never lose the relationship you have with Sarah!

Right now you are really into My Little Pony (which you call “My Pony”), but that’s mostly because Sarah is into it, too.  You get excited whenever you see Mickey or Minnie Mouse, and I think Mickey is the first non-family member you identified correctly! You also enjoy Elmo and Cookie Monster from Sesame Street, but you call Cookie Monster just “monster”, which you insist on saying it in this hilarious, deep, growling voice. You also love baby dolls and playing with your Little People family and their car. You’ve just started to hand me one of them and say, “Here, Mom,” to get me to play with you – but only if Sarah is busy. You also love to crawl around on all fours and pretend to be a puppy, barking like mad!

You love to wear your pink princess boots and can spot a school bus from a million miles away. You love swinging and the park, you dance by running in small circles or tilting your head from side to side whenever you hear music. You love to take tubbies and to brush your teeth. You also love playing with balls – the bigger, the better! You eat like a champ and can easily put away an entire hot dog or slice of pizza. Anything that’s more than room temperature is “hot” and you insist that we blow on it for you.

You have been singing to yourself more and more recently, and your current favorite song is “Hap Bir-day.” You sing it once through, then you give me names and make me sing “Happy birthday, dear (insert name here)” over and over until you run out of people to sing about. You love to play with Reece and Alex from school, and you love going for walks with the neighborhood kids.

If you’ve done something naughty, you will put yourself in time out and always say “sorry” with a kiss. And you want to do everything yourself. “I do it!,” you yell.  I love your independence. Keep that and nurture it. Never be dependent on another person for your happiness. For anything.

I could go on and on about all the things I have learned to love about you this year, but I’ll end by just saying that I am so thankful and blessed to be your mama. I can’t wait to enjoy this next year of adventures with you my sweet Kater-tot!


I love you for always and ever!

Love, 
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment